Income Tax Manager
DriveTime Needs an Income Tax Manager
Headquartered in Tempe, AZ & Dallas, TX, DriveTime is the largest privately owned used car sales and finance company in the country. With more than 140 dealerships, 3 operations centers and 15 reconditioning centers across the nation, our 4,000+ employees are focused on getting the right customer in the right car, at the right terms. With over 25 years of industry experience, and our dedication to streamlining the purchase process, we're redefining what it means to buy and finance a used car.
As focused as we are on our customer, we take that same focus on finding the right talent for the right opportunities within our organization. Across the nation, from our home office and operations centers to our retail locations and reconditioning centers, we are looking for talented individuals like yourself to join our ever-growing team!
That’s Nice, But What’s the Job?
In short, as the Manager of Income Tax you will review federal and state income tax returns, support the review of tax compliance, and manage the tax provisions.
In long, the Manager of Income Tax is responsible for:
Manage federal and state tax provision and ASC 740 accounting, including footnotes, disclosures, permanent/temporary differences, rate reconciliation, inventory of deferred assets/liabilities, taxes payable and deferred roll forwards/reconciliations, valuation allowances, tax rates, return-to-provision adjustments, and tax journal entries.
Responsible for ensuring that all income tax accounts/information is properly reflected in the financial statements, including income taxes payable, deferred assets/liabilities, provision for income taxes (current and deferred provision), tax adjustments in the statement of cash flows and stockholders' equity as well as coordination with the Company's auditors.
Manage federal and state income tax workbook preparation including review of staff and senior prepared tax adjustments, schedules, account mapping, and tax basis tracking.
Collaborate with other departments such as FP&A and accounting to support various income tax positions and/or overall company initiatives.
Assist with all federal and state income tax audits and properly responding to all information document requests (IDRs). Also, responsible for reviewing all tax correspondence/inquiries received and responding.
Support review of tax compliance with respect to tax credits, tax rates, return-to-provision analysis, tax compliance memos, and ensuring that all tax accounts in the financial statements are accurate.
Responsible for providing forecasts and guidance with respect to future effective tax rates and cash taxes.
Conduct research for complex tax issues, regulations, legislative updates, and documenting the company’s position.
Support preparation of roadmaps for moving tax planning implementation into the income tax provision and compliance and by early-identifying issues and proposing solutions.
Assist in the implementation of income tax planning projects as well as project evaluations.
Liaison with operating management on income tax issues and accounting staff on tax accounting issues.
Act in a lead role in assessing tax planning issues and work closely with Tax Director on such matters.
Manage and mentor staff and seniors, encourage a collaborative team atmosphere and mentoring staff and seniors includes providing timely meaningful written and verbal feedback.
So What Kind of Folks Are We Looking for?
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills. The ability to talk and write with confidence, charisma and competence for a wide variety of audiences including management.
- Agile in a fast-paced environment. We move, and we move quickly. Thriving in an environment that never stops, is a must.
- Management material. We are looking for someone that can lead, manage and grow within our organization.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills. Friendly and tactful with the ability to influence others, effectively manage conflict, exercise sound judgment, effectively manage highly sensitive and confidential information, interact at all levels within the organization, and build cross-functional partnerships across the business
- Rebel with a cause.
- You are always looking beyond the obvious for continuous improvement.
- Operate autonomously. This isn’t a "hold your hand" kind of role. We give you autonomy to be creative in your space and do your thing. We need an individual that is self-motivated to get the work done and get the work done well.
- Takes a hold of the wheel. You’ll need to take the initiative and be comfortable doing so.
- 5+ years of corporate tax experience (in public accounting and/or industry), including team leadership and development.
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance or related degree.
- CPA and other advanced credentials preferred (e.g. Masters in Taxation and/or MBA).
- Strong understanding of federal and multi-state flow-through and corporate income taxation.
- Strong technical knowledge of complex tax issues and general business acumen.
- Experience with flow-through entity taxation and related issues regarding basis, contributions, and distributions.
- Strong knowledge of GAAP and an understanding of internal accounting controls.
Nice to Haves.
- Public accounting experience.
- Experience with STAT financial reporting and taxation of non-life insurance companies is a plus.
Anything Else? Absolutely.
DriveTime was awarded Top Companies to Work for in AZ by AZCentral.com for our great culture and one of the Best Places to Work in IT as awarded by PBJ. Essentially we offer a creative, transparent and fun environment since, well, we work here too. DriveTime was also voted the Fastest-Growing Private Companies by Inc 5000, and we aren’t slowing down anytime soon!
So What About the Perks? Perks matter.
- Medical, Dental and Vision. DriveTime pays a nice chunk of your premiums to keep the cost as low as possible for our employees.
- 16 days of PTO and 6 paid Holidays. Because who doesn’t love time off?
- Benefits like 401(k), company paid life insurance, short and long-term disability.
- Casual Dress. Come dressed in jeans (you’ll fit right in with the rest of us).
- Game Room. Gimme a break - no, not a Kit Kat ad but we do have a ping-pong table, pool table and Virtual Reality if you ever need a break in your day.
- Wellness Program and In-House Gym. We want our employees to be the best versions of themselves. That’s why we offer a Wellness Program that includes an in-house gym, teeth cleanings, biometric screenings and much more!
- Growth opportunities. DriveTime takes a lot of pride in promoting from within. We have spent the last 14 years growing our team members and taking them on the path to owning their careers!
And when it comes to hiring, we don't just look for the right person for the job, we seek out the right person for DriveTime. Buckle up for plenty of opportunities to grow in a professional, fun, and high-energy environment!
Hiring is contingent upon successful completion of our background check and drug screen process. DriveTime is a drug-free, tobacco-free workplace and an Equal Opportunity Employer.