- Business Unit
- 1720 W Rio Salado Pkwy
- Postal Code
DriveTime Needs a Senior Accountant
Headquartered in Tempe, Arizona, DriveTime is the largest privately owned used car sales and finance company in the country. With more than 130 dealerships, 3 operations centers and 15 reconditioning centers across the nation, our 4,000+ employees are focused on getting the right customer in the right car, at the right terms. With over 25 years of industry experience, and our dedication to streamlining the purchase process, we're redefining what it means to buy and finance a used car.
As focused as we are on our customer, we take that same focus on finding the right talent for the right opportunities within our organization. All across the nation, from our Home Office and operations centers to our retail locations and reconditioning centers, we are looking for talented individuals like yourself to join our ever-growing team!
That’s Nice, But What’s the Job?
In short, as a Senior Accountant, you will be responsible for understanding accounting concepts required to maintain the general ledger, supporting subsidiary ledgers and ensuring compliance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP). You are technically minded and understand more technical areas of general ledger accounting. You will be responsible for preparation and recording of complex journal entries and schedules, highly involved in year-end budgeting process as well as monthly business reporting. This supervisory role will include the review of accounting topics, accounting records of a rapidly growing portfolio, and general reconciliations with an emphasis on the ability to manage the planning, performance, presentation and completion of special projects.
In long, our Senior Accountants are responsible for:
- Key point of contact within area of responsibility for the month-end close process.
- Review and approve technical journal entries and monthly reconciliations for items such as financed receivables of a $14B+ serviced portfolio (includes servicing of third-party portfolios), capital market financing, general accruals, intercompany financial statements, revenue recognition, etc. to ensure accurate accounting records in compliance with GAAP.
- Collaborate cross-functionally with FP&A team and other areas of the business to develop annual budgets, forecasts, and variance analysis across several business segments.
- Assist in preparation and communication of various ad-hoc and routine management reports.
- Research accounting guidance as needed and provide recommendations for technical accounting treatment.
- Validate, test, and support the creation of accounting and financial models for revenue/cost recognition.
- Communicate operational expenditure performance to corporate leadership.
- Support external and internal auditors with quarterly reviews and annual audits.
- Evaluate and improve upon existing accounting processes, policies, and reporting.
- System Upgrades - assist with implementation of new ERP system for loan servicing and accounting systems.
So What Kind of Folks Are We Looking for?
- Organization and time management skills in spades. You’ll be handling multiple projects and deadlines that will require you to prioritize then re-prioritize… then… re-prioritize again.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills. The ability to talk and write with confidence, charisma and competence for a wide variety of audiences including management.
- Killer analytical and reporting abilities. You’ll need the capability to analyze financial data and in return, prepare timely reports on your findings.
- A mind for the details. Okay we know “detail-oriented” is on about every job description – but we really mean it!
- Plays well with others. You will be working in a high-functioning team environment. We work together in order to win together.
- Collaborative contributor. You need the ability to coordinate and supervise staff while remaining an individual contributor to the team.
- Intellectual curiosity. You constantly ask why. You’re never satisfied with just doing the work, you want to know why you do what you do. You are not afraid to dive deep to understand complex subjects.
- Operate automatously. This isn’t a “hold your hand” kind of role. We give you autonomy to be creative in your space and do your thing. We need an individual that is self-motivated to get the work done and get the work done well.
- Must have a Bachelor's degree in accounting or Finance.
- 4+ years’ overall experience within accounting/finance. With a minimum of 2 years in a purely accounting role.
- Team management or leadership experience.
- Strong general understanding of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP).
- Advanced Excel skills.
Nice to Haves.
- Licensed CPA.
- Heavy general ledger experience with technical accounting concepts
- Accounting audit experience.
- Experience with technical accounting in a $500M+ company.