Head of Tax
- Business Unit
- 1720 W Rio Salado Pkwy
- Postal Code
DriveTime Needs a Head of Tax
DriveTime is the nation’s second largest used car retailer, focused on helping people find and finance used vehicles (trust us, it’s more exciting than it sounds). We have single-handedly rebuilt, retooled, redreamed and reconfigured the way people think about buying cars, breaking apart from the industry’s status quo. For more than 17 years, DriveTime has changed the auto world from the ground up while emphasizing values, morals and growth from the inside-out!
DriveTime’s goal is to take every customer on the full path to ownership. All the way from purchasing vehicles, inspecting and selling; to financing, servicing and warranties – when it comes to owning a vehicle - we know what’s up! As motivated as we are to take our customer on the path to ownership, we are just as focused on taking our employees on the path to owning their careers. Across the nation, from our home office and call centers to our 138 retail locations and 20 inspection centers, we are looking for talented individuals like yourself to join our ever-growing team!
That’s Nice, But What’s the Job?
In short, as the Head of Tax you will hold enterprise-level responsibility for strategic and execution leadership of DriveTime’s tax functions. You will oversee all aspects of flow-through and corporate income tax, sales and use tax, and other indirect taxes. You will lead the development and implementation of federal and state planning strategies and provide technical assistance on various tax issues. In addition, you will partner with internal teams and third party service providers to ensure policies and processes are well-documented, mitigate risk and proactively identify efficiency opportunities.
In long, the Head of Tax responsibilities include:
- Strategize and execute federal and state tax strategies based on company goals and objectives to minimize DriveTime’s and its shareholders’ effective tax rate.
- Oversee the preparation and review of the quarterly current and deferred tax provision calculations under ASC 740, tax-related account reconciliations, return-to-provision analysis, and tax footnote and disclosures for 10K/10Q equivalent filings.
- Oversee the preparation, review, and timely and accurate submission of all US federal and state flow-through and corporate income tax returns, reports, and payments.
- Develop tax forecasts in partnership with FP&A to allow for tax planning and long-range projections of effective tax rates and cash tax liabilities for the company and shareholders.
- Research and stay current on new tax law developments, understand their impact on tax planning strategies, and communicate to various stakeholders.
- Identify, research and claim applicable federal and state-level tax credits and incentives.
- Partner with business owners throughout the organization to highlight the importance of tax planning in decision making.
- Direct, revise, and design tax processes to ensure efficient operations of the tax function; develop long-term vision for the tax function, team development and composition.
- Manage tax-related special projects such as the review of intercompany transactions and contracts, due diligence, formation of new legal entities, accounting method changes, etc.
- Supervise and collaborate with tax contractors and consultants.
- Assist in due diligence for business development activities and advising on income tax related matters including valuation and usage of acquired tax attributes, input on tax implications of deal structures, and any other relevant tax related matters.
- Ensure the accuracy of all customer-facing sales and excise tax calculations and ensure accurate and timely reconciliation between the collection and payment of such taxes.
- Oversee the preparation, review and timely and accurate submission of all indirect tax returns and filings, including sales and use taxes, franchise taxes and certain property taxes.
- Effectively manage all federal and state tax audits.
- Anticipate internal and external tax compliance challenges or regulatory issues, research implications to the business, and provide recommendations to management.
- Ensure SOX 404-like documentation reflects best practices and procedures for tax processes.
So What Kind of Folks Are We Looking for?
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills. The ability to talk and write with confidence, charisma and competence for a wide variety of audiences including management.
- Agile in a fast-paced environment. We move, and we move quickly. Thriving in an environment that never stops, is a must.
- Management material. We are looking for someone that can lead, manage and grow within our organization.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills. Friendly and tactful with the ability to influence others, effectively manage conflict, exercise sound judgment, effectively manage highly sensitive and confidential information, interact at all levels within the organization, and build cross-functional partnerships across the business
- Rebel with a cause. You are always looking beyond the obvious for continuous improvement.
- Operate autonomously. This isn’t a “hold your hand” kind of role. We give you autonomy to be creative in your space and do your thing. We need an individual that is self-motivated to get the work done and get the work done well.
- Takes a hold of the wheel. You’ll need to take the initiative and be comfortable doing so.
- 10+ years of corporate tax experience (in public accounting and/or industry), including team leadership and development.
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance or related degree.
- CPA and other advanced credentials preferred (e.g. Masters in Taxation and/or MBA).
- Strong understanding of federal and multi-state flow-through and corporate income taxation.
- Experience with indirect tax compliance and planning strategies.
- Strong technical knowledge of complex tax issues and general business acumen.
- Substantial experience with flow-through entity taxation and related issues regarding basis, contributions and distributions.
- Strong knowledge of GAAP/SOX and an understanding of internal accounting controls.
Anything Else? Absolutely.
DriveTime was awarded Top Companies to Work for in AZ by AZCentral.com for our great culture and one of the Best Places to Work in IT as awarded by PBJ. Essentially we offer a creative, transparent and fun environment since, well, we work here too. DriveTime was also voted the Fastest-Growing Private Companies by Inc 5000, and we aren’t slowing down anytime soon!
So What About the Perks? Perks matter.
- Medical, Dental and Vision. DriveTime pays a nice chunk of your premiums to keep the cost as low as possible for our employees.
- 16 days of PTO and 6 paid Holidays. Because who doesn’t love time off?
- Benefits like 401(k), company paid life insurance, short and long-term disability.
- Casual Dress. Come dressed in jeans (you’ll fit right in with the rest of us).
- Game Room. Gimme a break – no, not a Kit Kat ad but we do have a ping-pong table, pool table and Virtual Reality if you ever need a break in your day.
- Wellness Program and In-House Gym. We want our employees to be the best versions of themselves. That’s why we offer a Wellness Program that includes an in-house gym, B12 shots, teeth cleanings, biometric screenings and much more!
- Growth opportunities. DriveTime takes a lot of pride in promoting from within. We have spent the last 14 years growing our team members and taking them on the path to owning their careers!
Need help finding the right job?
Job Status: Full Time
Job Reference #: 2019-28196