Assistant Director of Accounting
- Business Unit
- 1720 W Rio Salado Pkwy
- Postal Code
DriveTime Needs an Assistant Director of Accounting
Headquartered in Tempe, Arizona, DriveTime is the largest privately owned used car sales and finance company in the country (yes, we are THAT good)! With more than 130 dealerships, 3 operations centers and 20 reconditioning centers across the nation, our 4,000+ employees are focused on getting the right customer in the right car, at the right terms. With over 25 years of industry experience, and our dedication to streamlining the purchase process, we're redefining what it means to buy and finance a used car.
As focused as we are on our customer, we take that same focus on finding the right talent for the right opportunities within our organization. All across the nation, from our Home Office and operations centers to our retail locations and reconditioning centers, we are looking for talented individuals like yourself to join our ever-growing team!
That’s Nice, But What’s the Job?
In short, the Assistant Director of Accounting is responsible for understanding accounting concepts required to maintain the general ledger and supporting subsidiary ledgers and ensuring compliance with Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP). The Assistant Director of Accounting is responsible for accounting activities including review of complex issues, reporting requirements, and general accounting activities coupled with an emphasis on the ability to manage the planning, performance, presentation and completion of special projects. This position will also have regular, direct interactions with individuals on the operational side of the business.
In long, the Assistant Director of Accounting is responsible for:
- Overseeing all accounting functions for the Company and its subsidiaries
- Preparation of GAAP financial statements
- Direct communication with and preparation of schedules/data for auditors
- Supervision and management of daily accounting functions
- Preparation and/or review consolidation/elimination journal entries
- Preparation and/or review monthly tax provisions
- Preparing monthly and quarterly reports that provide management accurate information to support decision making
- Research of complex accounting issues
- Development and monitoring of accounting policies and procedures
- Reviewing documentation of multifaceted accounting issues and conclusions thereon
- Acting as liaison between accounting function and other business units, including treasury, tax, compliance and operations center
- Identifying areas of opportunity to increase efficiencies within current processes and assist in or initiate process improvements
- Maintaining general and supporting ledgers, and analyze to ensure accurate and relevant information
- Performing special assignments/projects and responsibilities as requested including, but not limited to, ad hoc financial analysis and/or accounting department tasks
- Facilitating the month-end close process by reviewing and following through on all month end tasks
- Responsible for the consolidation of the individual businesses
- Review of general ledger account reconciliations and journal entries
So What Kind of Folks Are We Looking for?
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills. The ability to talk and write with confidence, charisma and competence for a wide variety of audiences including management.
- Organization and time management skills in spades. You’ll be handling multiple projects and deadlines that will require you to prioritize then re-prioritize… then… re-prioritize again.
- Killer analytical and reporting abilities. You’ll need the capability to analyze data and in return, prepare timely reports on your findings.
- A mind for the details. Okay we know “detail-oriented” is on about every job description – but we really mean it!
- Agile in a fast-past environment. We move, and we move quickly. Thriving in an environment that never stops, is a must.
- Plays well with others. You will be working in a high-functioning team environment. We work together in order to win together.
- Collaborative contributor. You need the ability to coordinate and supervise staff while remaining an individual contributor to the team.
- Bachelor's degree in accounting (licensed CPA preferred)
- 4-6 years overall experience in accounting (insurance industry experience a plus)
- Strong understanding of Generally Accepted Accounting Principles
- Communication skills are essential as well as ability to work in fast-paced environment
- Ability to effectively coordinate, supervise and develop staff
- Ability to analyze financial data and to prepare timely reports
- Strong critical thinking and problem solving skills
- Strong organizational skills and the ability to maintain detailed records
- Ability to prioritize/re-prioritize multiple projects and/or deadlines
- Ability to confidently converse with and present to senior management
- Advanced Excel skills
Anything Else? Absolutely.
DriveTime was awarded Top Companies to Work for in AZ by AZCentral.com for our great culture and one of the Best Places to Work in IT as awarded by PBJ. Essentially we offer a creative, transparent and fun environment since, well, we work here too. DriveTime was also voted the Fastest-Growing Private Companies by Inc 5000, and we aren’t slowing down anytime soon!
So What About the Perks? Perks matter.
- Medical, Dental and Vision. DriveTime pays a nice chunk of your premiums to keep the cost as low as possible for our employees.
- 16 days of PTO and 6 paid Holidays. Because who doesn’t love time off?
- Benefits like 401(k), company paid life insurance, short and long-term disability.
- Casual Dress. Come dressed in jeans (you’ll fit right in with the rest of us).
- Game Room. Gimme a break – no, not a Kit Kat ad but we do have a ping-pong table, pool table and Virtual Reality if you ever need a break in your day.